Social Enterprise Sutton
What is Social Enterprise? Social enterprises are organisations which are set up to make a positive change within the world. Akin to traditional businesses their objective is to be profitable but the deployment of their profits differentiates them as they reinvest or donate it to create positive social change. When they profit, society profits.
Social enterprises exist in a wide range of sectors and renowned examples include The Big Issue, The Eden Project
There are over 70,000 social enterprises throughout the country contributing £24 billion to the economy and employing nearly a million people.
Social enterprises can be defined as businesses that:
- Have a clear social and/or environmental mission set out in their governing documents
- Generate the majority of their income through trade
- Reinvest the majority of their profits
- Are autonomous of the state
- Are majority controlled in the interests of the social mission
- Are accountable and transparent
Social Enterprise Places Social Enterprise Places are areas where social enterprise activity is thriving. From towns, cities and zones - areas around the UK are declaring themselves as social enterprise places committed to investing in the sector.
Social Enterprise Sutton Sutton was granted Social Enterprise Place status in August 2015 and is one of 20 accredited places. Recently re-launched, Social Enterprise Sutton strives to support individual Social Enterprises helping promote their status and bringing them together to share knowledge and aid networking. There are currently x social enterprises in Sutton comprising of a mix of established organisations and new start-ups.
Social Enterprise Sutton are positioned as ‘The voice of business with a social mission’
The Role of Social Enterprise Sutton Social Enterprise Sutton’s role is to support Social Enterprises within Sutton.
- Establish and drive understanding of Social Enterprise Sutton’s brand amongst the target audience
- Educating and raising awareness of the role that social enterprises play
- Build networks between social enterprises
- Raise the profile of people and social enterprises in the sector
- Attract new Social Enterprise organisations to be part of Social Enterprise Sutton
- Provide support to aid development and growth for pre-start, start-up and established Social Enterprises
Membership of Social Enterprise Sutton is not limited to Social Enterprises. Organisations who support our vision of a world where social enterprise is the usual way of doing business are welcome.
Buy Social Social Enterprise Sutton support Social Enterprise UK’s flagship campaign ‘Buy Social’ that aims to build markets for social enterprises among the general public as well as the private and public sectors. It challenges all of us to think about where we buy our goods and services from, and the social impact of our purchasing decisions.